The Governance Task Force was created by the Town Assembly through motions at the September 2021 and January 2022 town meetings. The job of the Task Force is to review the governing documents of the Village, determine the need for updates or changes, and report their work at the quarterly town meetings. The full text of the motions defining the Governance Task Force are posted at the bottom of this page and can also be found in the minutes of the Town Meeting.
Members Ray Seigfried, chair • Steve Benigni, Beverly Clendening, Lynda Kolski, Barbara Macklem, John Scheflen (rep. Of Community Planning Committee), Kate Threefoot
Meetings The Governance Task Force meets monthly. There are four public meetings. All meetings will be posted in advance here and on the Arden government bulletin board at the Buzz Ware Village Center.
How the task force works
To learn how the task force is structured, specific topics they will address, and how meetings are conducted, click these links:
Zoom meeting links. For meetings conducted via Zoom, the meeting id and password will be posted on the village government bulletin board at the Buzz Ware Village Center. Or email the Task Force for Zoom information.
All recommendations from the GTF will be posted on this website in draft form, with room for public comment, before being presented to the Town Assembly. To read the recommendations and leave your comments, see the drop-down menu at the top of the page under GTF, or use this link: Click here for GTF recommendations.
To contact the Governance Task Force, send an email to: email@example.com.
Motions creating and defining the GTF
Resolution Passed by Town Assembly 9/27/21:
• Governance Task Force
The Village of Arden Town Assembly is creating the Governance Task Force (GTF) to review and suggest changes to the Village of Arden’s Governing documents including the Town Charter, ordinances, policies, and motions. The Governance Task Force shall conduct this review with the assistance of the Arden Committees, town residents, the Village attorney, and other parties they deem helpful. The GTF will work with Town committees that enforce ordinances to determine the need for potential updates. The GTF shall meet at least monthly and report their work at the quarterly Town Meetings.
- The Arden Charter and Town Committee structure have remained largely unchanged since their creation during the 1960’s and 1970’s.Since then, new ordinances and policies have continued to be added, edited and re-interpreted. Inconsistencies can create non-compliance with governing documents, confusion, piece-meal corrections and “work-arounds” to assure compliance.
- In addition, today we live in an environment much different than just ten years ago. Given these challenges, it is time to evaluate our governing process and assure that we are living up to the community goals that we have set for ourselves as well as to evaluate our governing process against others throughout the state.
Governance Task Force Formation
The GTF will be made up of five (5) residents of the Village of Arden,* including at least one from the Community Planning Committee, nominated by the Town Chair with consent of the Advisory Committee. The Town Assembly will approve the final members of the Task Force.
Topics for the GTF to consider include but are not limited to:
- Village boundaries
- Budget process and timeline
The Task Force will present its findings within one year of its formation to the Town Assembly. A second year may be granted by the Town Assembly if needed. At its discretion, the Town Assembly will enact the recommendations of the Governance Task Force.
- Number changed to 7 members at the Jan. 2022 Town Meeting. Text of that motion follows;
Resolutions passed by Town Assembly 1/24/22
• The Advisory Committee asks the Town Assembly to amend the motion creating the Governance Task Force, the motion it approved at the September meeting of the Town Assembly, striking the words “five (5) residents” and replacing those words with “seven (7) residents”.
• Approval of the slate of nominees for Governance Task Force. John Scheflen (CP), Ray Seigfried (Chair), Kate Threefoot, Barbara Macklem, Lynda Kolski, Beverly Clendening, Steve Benigni
• The GTF [Government Task Force] shall conduct four (4) public meetings each year during the months of January, March, June and September which shall be open to all residents, Trustees and leaseholders of the Village. The GTF shall fix rules and regulations for the conduct of the meetings, provided that reasonable opportunity shall be afforded to all persons entitled to notice thereof to be heard at such meetings.