established March 1968, revised January 1981 by Town Assembly
The Safety Committee, broadly speaking, handles safety issues. It replaces and installs stop signs, no-parking signs, etc., throughout the town. It acts as liason with the New Castle County Police, but it does NOT handle complaints or emergencies: those should be referred to the police. The Safety Committee works with County and State police forces, but only in an advisory capacity.
- For emergencies, call 911 right away. Arden does not have its own a law enforcement officers, but relies on the County.
- For non-emergencies, call New Castle County Police at 573-2800. Again, Arden does not have its own police force.
Report Incidents to the Safety Committee
SIGNAGE: Also please report missing or damaged signage to the Safety Committee for repair or replacement.
Dog License FAQ:
Natural Gas Safety
Do you have concerns about natural gas safety or about natural gas pipelines in our area? Delmarva Power has many answers on their website. Click here. There you will find a telephone number to use to report gas leaks (302 454-0317), safety tips, winter safety tips, and links to PDF documents including What You Should Know About Pipeline Safety andWorking Safely Near Gas Utilities.
Sept 2022 Town Meeting:
Wilmapco Survey is available here – http://www.wilmapco.org/ardens/
Keep leaves out of storm gutters, careful driving around school bus time, be kind to each other.
June 2022 Town Meeting:
MOTION – Motion to approve the presented plans for improvements of bus stop, curbs, and crosswalk at the intersection of Orleans & Harvey and accept the implementation of the same plans through the DelDOT Pedestrian Access Routes program.
• DelDot project at the Orleans/Harvey intersection. – Orleans@Harvey – ADA Curb & Crossing Improvements
- PDF Drawings – Safety_901401_WO#20_Harvey at Orleans_CP01
- DELDOT PAR (Pedestrian Access Routes) – https://deldot.gov/Programs/pedestrianAccessRte/index.shtml
- Pennoni PAR – https://www.pennoni.com/projects/pedestrian-access-route-program-deldot/
- PAR ADA Inventory – https://deldot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=d070f4a24c6f4bab80039b31e9f9e0f4
- Pennoni Engineering Projects – https://www.pennoni.com/projects/
- DELDOT ADA Engineering Manual – PDF Manual Link
June 2021 Town Meeting:
• DelDot project at the Harvey/Marsh intersection.
There has long been concern about the safety of the Harvey/Marsh 5-way intersection. Although, thankfully, there have been few fatalities, most of us in the area have seen accidents and near misses there, if not experienced them personally. As development north of the Ardens increases, more traffic has put a burden on it.
Some two years ago, then Representative Seigfreid was able to get the attention of Deldot on this matter. DelDot engineers looked at the situation, including the impossibility of widening the intersection without destroying adjacent buildings.
DelDot engineers made proposals which went to public comment. Since no element of the plan was on town roads, DelDot held the meetings and advertised them on both their government page and social media, but announcements of the comment period also went out through Representative Seigfreid and as a petition on change.org
The formal comment period ended March 2020.
In order to implement these intersection improvements, there are two short portions of the municipal right of way that must grant easements for the installation of segments of sidewalk that have crosswalk signals. We have two similar segments at the crosswalk on Orleans and Harvey. These would be at the top of Sherwood, at the Oddporium corner, and the top of Harvey, on the Lockerman leasehold. They would permit pedestrians to cross Marsh to the Record store or Papa Johns.
The Safety Committee considered these easements and approved them, but wants confirmation by the Town Assembly. An easement only permits the establishment of the segments, but recognizes that the land is in town control. Without these easements, the improvements will not be made.
A simplified graphic of the location of the access points in question is attached. Please contact me with any questions. Simon Hamermesh, Safety Chair, email@example.com
Committee Meeting Minutes: